Well after much gut-wrenching deliberation we made the decision to euthanize Midnight this weekend. I don't want to get into the specifics but he wasn't doing good and he was to the point where he was obviously suffering. The decision to cull is a difficult one, but in the end I feel we did the morally right thing in building a stronger herd and helping to ease a sick animal's suffering. So now we are down to 6 goats. We are keeping a very close watch on these to make sure that none of them show signs of illness because if they do I'm hauling them to the Pulaski vet first thing. I feel we did right by Midnight, but I don't want to do it again if I can help it.
I was worried yesterday afternoon when Guthrie got the squirts for a little while and was ready to put him in the car and carry him to the vet. I realized that it was probably because I had given him what I figured to be his last bottle that morning after him not having one for a couple of days. The milk didn't sit well I guess you could say. He is all better today with no more signs of the scours or any trouble at all. I guess he is fully weaned now. And I am guessing he is polled since he has no horns yet, just two little nubs.
We began working on the trellises for the beans today. Yesterday I made the compost tumbler in about an hour. I will post the how-to project later tonight after Finn is asleep. It was pretty simple and cost about $20 total.
More in a little while...